1. No matter how many times I watch it, I’m always surprised to see Dan Aykroyd up there next to Harry Belafonte.
2. How great is Bob Dylan’s delivery? Quincy asked him to half-sing, half-speak the lyrics, and he brings his own unique “sprechstimme” to it.
“There’s a CHOICE we’re maKING, we’re SAVing our own LIVes,
it’s TRUE we make a BETter DAY, just YOU and ME…”
3. It’s crazy long for a pop single. The video runs over 7 minutes, and the celebrity choir doesn’t appear until 3:08.
4. While some of the singers have dropped off the scene (Kenny Loggins? Kim Carnes?), the overdub solos at the end sure hold up: Dylan, Ray Charles, Stevie, Bruce… James Ingram? Hmm.
5. One complaint: The lyrics are pretty weak. They opted for “There’s a choice we’re making, we’re saving our own lives, it’s true, we’ll make a better day, just you and me.” Had they made that “you and I,” it would have at least been close to a rhyme.